From grades 1-8, students take French language studies with teachers Bree Tibble and Elizabeth Champagne. All programs feature the four language learning skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing. Second language learning is intended to broaden the student’s mind through exposure to another culture and to a different way of viewing our world as expressed through language.
The grades 1 to 8 French programs are activity-based, student centred programs that are intended to foster a positive attitude towards learning French. The grade 1-2 program uses the BC curriculum as a guide. Grades 3 to 5 follow the Echos Pro programs. Grades 6 to 8 follow the Mon Riseau and Ma Vie programs. Each program provides a foundation of skills that continues to grow throughout the student’s Montessori education.
The program objectives are:
- to deliver a variety of strategies that will enable students to comprehend spoken and written French;
- to enable students to complete projects involving communication in French;
- to stimulate insights into English and French cultural similarities and differences as reflected in the languages;
- to increase the student’s general knowledge by using French as a means for learning across the curriculum; and
- to develop in our students a positive attitude and acceptance of languages and cultures.
We aim to nurture these objectives by providing a solid foundation on which students will build throughout life.